Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cast on for the Colts!

I've blogged before about how I have displaced fan syndrome, being a die-hard Colts supporter in a city of teal and spots. For the most part, I can treat my problem with shopping online (I got my new Dwight Freeney jersey in plenty of time for today's game), checking colts.com ninety times a day, and watching a lot of SportsCenter. There are some things, though, that I can't possibly know about without living in Indianapolis.

Thank God for my Aunt Brenda, Indy native and knitter extraordinaire. The email I got from her today was *almost* as exciting as the Colts victory, and I am so excited about the project that will keep me busy as I wait for this year's SuperBowl and well into next season. Check out what Indianapolis is doing in preparation for their SuperBowl host year (Febraury 2012)...

In February, 2012, Indianapolis will welcome the world as it hosts NFL Super Bowl XLVI in Lucas Oil Stadium. Staging this game – and dozens of related community events – will require the efforts of nearly 8,000 energetic volunteers. In an effort to show appreciation for each volunteer’s good work, the Indianapolis Host Committee is asking the community to hand knit a unique scarf for each of them. This personalized memento, aside from being part of the Official Volunteer Uniform, will serve as a warm “Thank You” for their service, and provide an instant connection between the scarf makers and wearers. Indianapolis has a rich tradition of volunteerism; let’s continue that history with the Super Scarf Project!

If you live in Indy, you can actually pick up scarf KITS at any Marion County Public Library (shoutout to my favorite librarian!!). There are no specific patterns, but they do give you a few samples, and designate that the scarf must be ALL blue and white. Actually, they even pre-selected the exact colors (and I am thrilled to report that my personal yarn stash is stocked in the same Red Heart blue and white that this committee deemed Colts-appropriate).

This will not be the first Colts scarf I've made...


I actually cranked out two of those bad boys (one for me, one for Em) and wear mine pretty regularly throughout the winter (which lasts about 2 weeks here). It really compliments the majority of the rest of my wardrobe...


I can't wait to cast on my first scarf, and then watch with eagle eyes during SBXLVI to see a volunteer wearing it. Blue models it so nicely! (that pic was taken at last week's playoff game!) If you are a beginning knitter and/or a Colts fan, this is an AWESOME project to be involved with. Let me know if you want to join... and in the meantime, GO HORSE!!

20 comments:

Lindsey said...

i love this homey midwest project, so cute!
how many scarves will you make?
wish my library did programs like this!
GO HORSE!
and you are going to that SB right????

Donna said...

I miss Indy so much....maybe I will switch it up....work here and then retire to Indy. Glad you got in on the scarf project. LOVE YOU!

Flo said...

Hi Mary Ann -
I would like to help with the scarf project. Can you give me contact information for the Marion Country Public Library. I am in North Carolina and am employed by a manufacturer of Cotton yarns.
I may have severaly people that could be interested in helping with this project.
Flo Carlisle
Pisgah Yarn and Dyeing Co., Inc.
Home of Peaches & Creme, America's Best, and Honeysuckle Yarn.

Mary Ann* said...

Flo - I don't have contact info for the library, but if you'd like to email me (maryannstar@gmail.com) I can forward you the information I have (and harrass you for free yarn, of course!).

Unknown said...

Here is the link for the Libraries: http://www.imcpl.org/about/locations/index.html


Thanks so much for posting this blog. I am going to pick up my kit in a few minutes.

Mary Ann* said...

Jamie, that is SO GREAT! I am so bummed that I can't pick up a kit, but I hope to be up to Indy some time in the next year, and the library is on my list of places to visit :)

IndyGirl said...

Hello Colts Fans!

If you are interested in the Super Scarves knitting project, take a look at this link:

http://www.our2012sb.com/super-scarves

Happy knitting!

Go Colts!

Anonymous said...

They were walking back up to the castle with the rest of the class. Ahead they could see Malfoy, who was walking with Crabbe and Goyle, and kept looking back, laughing derisively.
“S’no good, Ron,”
Auto A/C Compressorsmoney loan

micheal said...

forumlinkbuilding companySydney Website DesignI am happy to see this post. It is really nice and useful for me. From many days i am searching for this type of article. This is a good post and is awesome

muavotink said...

Russisch ÜbersetzerParkettboden München

heobeo said...

..thank you

Lemon_tree said...

Instore Sound

sofa
I love your blog verey much!!!

khongthehieunoi said...

it problems

used cisco
Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

HT said...

hotels in the centre of edinburgh

Customer Credit Card ReviewNice blog. I must come visit more often.

That has to be the most cutest cat animation I've seen in a while.

thaoxinhxeo said...

como ganhar dinheiro na internet

Rent Listi love this homey midwest project, so cute!
how many scarves will you make?

thaoxinhxeo said...

free text

report distribution
Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle had been standing just inside the castle doors, listening.

Blackcat said...

investment opportunities

Honda Control Arm
Thanks for the wonderful information. I read your posts regularly. You guys must be tired of filling in surveys to watch high quality movies online

simson11 said...

Different fruits and vegetables produce different amounts of juice. It may surprise you when a carrot produces plenty of juice, but juicing a winter squash - which can seem just as dry (or moist) as carrots - isn't recommended. Winter squash provide almost no juice.
sell domains

Ashland City Criminal Lawyer

HieuThao said...

pmp exam prep

hervey bay accomodation
i love this homey midwest project, so cute!
how many scarves will you make?
wish my library did programs like this!
GO HORSE!
and you are going to that SB right????

apple said...

Mercedes Headlight

firewall
I'm waiting for HMY and TRE to get hammered. Then I'll buy some more.
GOt to say, NGD is looking strong.