Saturday, September 6, 2008

My true calling.

The beginning of the 2008 football season marks not only an end in all Sunday social activities for 17 consecutive weeks (not to mention post-season play), but it also is the time of year I sit up and take notice of sports journalism. I will consistently tune in to SportsCenter for recaps of the week's play, use my HipHoptionary to translate Stuart Scott's commentary, and curse the TV as females much less qualified than myself prance up and down the sidelines with a microphone and a less-than-admirable wealth of NFL knowledge.

Here am I pictured with my favorite sports commentator of all time, Chris "Boomer" Berman. This particular photo was snapped at my aunt and uncle's annual Christmas party in Ft Myers in 2004 (Boomer and Uncle Chuck go way back). I didn't have a chance to bend Berman's ear at the time, but I really think this sports commentating gig is something I could handle. What do Andrea Kremer and Suzy Kober have on me, anyway? (Suzy, by the way, has *no* wikipedia entry). I mean, I manage to draft some pretty decent blog entries on a regular. How much more is there to learn about reporting? Here are some general rules I would follow:

1. Wear adorable outfits with fashion forward accessories in the team of the night's color palette -- no pantsuits.

2. Dress as a Colts cheerleader for every game broadcast on or around Halloween.

3. Never, ever, ever mention Brett Favre. Also, vow to never refer to the Jets as the "New York Bretts".

4. Ask more leading questions about players' personal lives. (i.e., What does Tony Romo see in Jessica Simpson that he *didn't* see in Carrie Underwood?)

5. Find out the true story behind Bill Belichick and that damn hoodie. Would it kill the man to wear a collared shirt?

Mary Ann*, sports journalist -- Believe in Now, right? Get this girl a screen test, stat.

And in the meantime, go Colts!

1 comment:

Emily Malone said...

this post is the only thing that could possible brighten my day after today's dreadful bengals blunder.

i would LOVE to see you on the sidelines, and i'll take all the toss-off gear you reject.

:)