Sunday, February 15, 2009

"It's a love story, baby just say yes..."

Ahhhhh!! Deane and I are ENGAGED. I didn't know how to start this post, so there it is.

I came home after work on Saturday (Valentine's Day) to a much welcome surprise -- Deane had shaved his beard that he has been growing since the beginning of time. Basically I was super excited to see his handsome face again, and I thought that was my VDay present (never been much of a fan of this holiday, anyway). How exciting! But then I noticed that there were candles lit in our citrus trees, and he asked me to come over to the garden with him, which I did, after loving up the dogs and getting puppy slobber all over myself (in retrospect, he was probably pretty annoyed at that point. Or maybe not. He did ask me to marry him, after all). He said that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me and PROPOSED. I was so excited, clearly I said yes right away, and immediately apologized for ever saying that it was cheesy when people get engaged on Valentine's Day. I surprised myself by not instantly bawling my eyes out, but, as I explained to him, I've always known Deane and I would get married -- the timing was just a technicality. (Tears came later, after celebratory drinks and a lot of friends and family phone calls). We celebrated with yummy snacks, delicious drinks, and a ColdStone cupcake (which I never even knew existed, and is now my favorite thing in the world).

And how about the biggest surprise of all? Never did I ever know there was a family diamond ring floating around? This ring belonged to Deane's Aunt Elsa (not technically an aunt, but a close family friend), and she was married for over 40 years, which makes this ring something like, 60 years old? (I hope to get more deets on it soon). I have always wanted a round cut, small solitaire (about the only thing in my life I don't want to be huge, flashy, and extravagant), but this ring has two stones snuggled into a rectangular setting (like Deane and I will be snuggled together forever!). I LOVE it and am amazed at how sparkly it is. I am also annoyed at how impossible it is to take a picture of it. And that my fingers are the size of Shaq's. Sadly, I cannot wear the ring until it is sized up to fit my embarrassingly large ring finger. Until then, I stare a lot at its glitzy beauty.

Post engagement, all I have felt is sheer joy. I have always been happy with Deane, but I have not been able to wipe the smile off of my face for the past 24 hours! There has been lots of congratulations, a few random weepy moments, and a number of afternoon phone calls about inane wedding details, but mostly I am just thrilled that now everyone will know the extent of our love.

I have also been faced with a lot of questions, so I'll set straight what I can right now. I don't know much about my wedding, but I do know a few things for CERTAIN. Those things are, in no particular order:
  • We will be married before the end of 2009. If left to my own devices with an open-ended wedding date, I will most likely end up retired before I am wed. I must be forced to make decisions in a short amount of time.
  • Stress levels will remain at an all-time low.
  • Yellow, dark grey (or black), and white are the front runners for colors.
  • Deane and I are adamant that we uphold the tradition of pre-wedding day bachelor and bachelorette parties. That means big parties after the rehearsal dinner! Look for ceremony time to become later and later as wedding date approaches (8 pm, maybe?)
  • I will have a dessert bar. I will design it myself.
  • My dogs will be there. I have always wanted Lilly as our flower girl and Roach as the ring bearer, but that might not work out. At minimum, they will be at the reception.
  • I will be happy for the rest of my life.
Until I get started on my wedding to-do list (yes, a notebook and binder have already been assigned), I will keep my eye on priority number one -- getting this ring on my finger! Maybe writing this blog has burned some finger fat calories. I think I'll try it on again...

5 comments:

Donna said...

I am so happy for both of you...you will have many years of happiness ahead (now that the beard is gone..lol). We love you both and your four-legged family as well! Love, Mom & larry

Jen Lilley said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Lindsey said...

diamonds AND an icecream cupcake?
the perfect proposal!

Erin said...

AHHH! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D :D :D

Emily Malone said...

cant wait to help you plan! :)