Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Recycling rules!

This past October, a trip to Ulta changed my life. For years, I had had lukewarm feelings about makeup, wavering between a commitment to Clinique and MAC. One consultation later, I threw all pearly green and solid black compacts out the window, and became a member of the 'swirl, tap, buff' brigade (that's bareminerals, for those of you who don't know).

Except I didn't *actually* pitch my old MAC stuff. I remembered a sales associate telling me to save my compacts, et al., when they are empty, because you can turn them in for free product later. I figured I would never use enough makeup to earn free anything, but a small plastic bag under my vanity began to fill over the years. Initially, I thought the recycling program only included compacts and lipsticks (which I don't even use), but somewhere along the way a kind (but tragically eyeshadowed) MAC employee told me to save EVERYTHING - mascaras, concealer tubes, even the tiny eyeshadow refills. I did, and today, I hit MAC with my bag of empties.

Here's the scoop: 6 empty containers equals one free full-size eyeshadow or lip color. I had 16 containers to recycle, which means I got to pick 2 things, and once my PlushLash is empty, I will only be one away from another free goodie.

I left MAC without spending a cent, and I picked a gloriously sparkly aqua eyeshadow ("steamy"), as well as a ProLongwear Lustre Lipcolor (in "jazz-y-razz"). All in all, $34.50 in free product. Not bad in today's economy!

Plus, I totally did my part to save the environment.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

jealous, i've never even bought anything at mac because the people scare me so much i can't bring myself to talk to them and buy something. let alone return used products for freebies.
you are a brave woman, who has been richly rewarded with free makeup supplies.