Wednesday, May 27, 2009

DIY Mantra.

My guests will not notice if there is smeared green ink on the folded crease of their Save The Date.
They will not care if some letters are bigger than others.
They will think that my handwritten words are darling and personal, not ugly, crooked, and off center.
My guest list will remain small, as we wanted it from the beginning, because you are not invited to my wedding if I don't want to invest hours of handmade craft into you.
If a bow comes untied in the mail, who cares? It is no big deal.
I will finish these myself.
I will not cave.
I LOVE DIY.
I LOVE DIY.
I LOVE DIY.

3 comments:

Emily Malone said...

UGH. I dont think I can even read about this because it makes me break out into a cold sweat thinking about making my invitations. Ruined paper everywhere, smeared ink, $$ down the toilet.

BUT - in the end, and even though they got all smudgy and horrid looking in the mail - I was soooo glad I stuck to it and finished them myself.

They were messy and crooked, but they were ME. And the memories I have of sitting around the table with Linds, mom, and Sarah - cursing at them, eating entire tubs of hummus, and telling stories was worth it.

Wish I was there to help you!

Mary Ann* said...

I'll take you, the hummus tubs, and storytime - hold the cursing.

Last night I was whining about some inane detail (most likely lettering not looking right), and Deane said, "I wish you understood how awesome these look, but I don't even know who to show them to to make you feel better, because no one has as insanely high standards as you."

And I said... "I need Holcombe."

(I meant Malone, obvs).

Emily Malone said...

hahahahahaaaaa i love that. high standards make the world a better place:)