Saturday, July 26, 2008

I Dream of Craft Rooms.

First of all, hate myself for breaking the bi-daily blog promise of Staycation goals. Did, however, blog all days Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, so may be ok that I am not posting again until Saturday. Will also attempt to post a Staycation recap tomorrow.
In days of old, might be embarrassed to be posting a blog at 11:00 pm on a Saturday night, but I went out last night, and am comfortably tapping the Rockies right here at my desk.

I managed to do nothing the majority of the week (more on that tomorrow), but as I explored the option of becoming a professional organizer (thanks to a "neat" marathon on the Fine Living Network and a suggestion from Deane), I was motivated to do some major house cleaning/reorganization.

I have always, always, always wanted a craft room. Although there are just 2 of us in this 3 bedroom house, the 2nd room belongs to the dogs (pictured here with their Scooby decor),
and the 3rd one is the guest room/office, so that doesn't leave a bonus room for crafts. The 3rd room, in sad reality, has always served of less of a guest room and more of that horrible, terrifying room in everyone's house where all the extra stuff ends up: wrapping paper, extra linens, projects in progress, etc. etc. (Also, in this house, the master closet has been graciously donated to my wardrobe, the closet in the dogs' room has been graciously donated to my winterwear and accessories, and Deane has most graciously taken the small closet in the guest room as his own. Relationships are all about compromise.)


Today, we set forth to make sense of the 3rd bedroom and establish, at minimum, a space for my yarn and knitting paraphernalia. We ended up sorting a lot, tossing a LOT (no yard sales for this girl, thanks to some recent suggestions from fellow bloggers), and rearranging several times. I ended up with, well, a yarn desk/wall:



Despite my grandiose notions of wall bins full of beautiful colorways, I had to face the facts (the biggest one being that I do not own as much yarn as a yarn store). My favorite part of the day was when I didn't know what to do with my scraps (yarn storage had filled up quickly), and Deane noticed the lamp I had with the yellow and white shade (previously filled with blue and yellow marbles to match old bedroom decor). We filled it with scrap yarn and it is adorable!




All in all, I love my new craft "room", and I am totally motivated to keep on knitting! There are even more future plans for this room (involving some shelving), but it needs to be painted first, so we're holding off for now. The only problem with my new space is that it doesn't leave much room for new additions to my stash -- guess I better get to work on using what I have. :)

No comments: