Sunday, July 6, 2008

Toolbelt Diva?

As much as everything in me (and my pale, pale skin) told me to head to the beach this weekend, I decided instead to throw some serious labor into an unfinished project that had been plaguing me -- our bathroom. Here's a few pictures of "before" (although we had started slight demo at this point, demonstrated by the pile of Deane's clothes on the floor, stopping a leak (?).

Desperate for a more "beachy feel" to our home, we decided to start a semi-remodel with a small project last NOVEMBER. What we thought might be a week long session of painting and decorating turned into 60 square feet of money burning hell. Before really thinking anything through (it's never been either of our strong points), we ripped out the tub (demolition is the best part!), THEN went shopping for a new one. Strike one. Turned out our tub was abnormally narrow, and nothing was available on the market that fit into a 55" space (60" or wider, unless you go cu$tom -- not an option financially). Luckily, Deane is a bit of a "Jack of all trades", so he decided he would tile in a new shower enclosure. I really have to hand it to him here -- already at this point, I was ready to max out some plastic to hire a "professional". Long story short, the bathroom has been an ongoing project with ongoing issues. The entire thing has been re-plumbed, ripped up, re-painted, and so on. I think my favorite part was when I learned how to take a toilet out and sat it on the front porch while we were installing the floor (redneck what?).

Weeks turned to months, and some months went by with no work done on the bathroom at all, but bit by bit it came together. Deane has constantly surprised me with his breadth of handyman knowledge throughout the project, and I was surprised myself that I could install a floor (the last step, which we did this weekend). We still have to paint the baseboard trim and the unfinished part of the vanity, in addition to adding the window treatments, but it is 98% complete and fully functional, so I had to post pics!


Isn't it just the love? The shower curtain looks totally bizarre, but it is actually adorable stripes. I also really adore the mirror (far right photo) with the pink frame (picked out by Deane!). I didn't believe it at the time, but I should have known to never doubt Target decor, as it pulled everything together beautifully.

Fully inspired by the productivity that took place this weekend (and perhaps the zen-like feel of my new spa space), I have also been knitting up a storm, and have made some serious progress on the blankie for my new nephew, due at the end of this month.

Where do I sign up for "The Next DIY star"? :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job, you two! The bathroom looks great - I am proud of both of you (and glad you got the toliet off the porch!) Blanket is coming along very nicely, also. Before you know it, Oprah will be wanting to start up a magazine on you guys! Love you! MOM

Emily Malone said...

the bathroom looks so pretty!

Lindsey said...

nice amy winn-style work ma* and deane! so impressive and pretty, definitely the best of both worlds.

Lindsey said...

happy "almost" birthday darling! hope you can enjoy your special day, free chick-fil-A and perhaps a bubbly bath in your new and improved toilette?