Sunday, December 21, 2008

R.I.P. Sparks.

You can officially mourn something when wikipedia begins referring to it in the past tense. Sadly, this is the case (as of December 19, 2008) for this blogger's favoritey-fave caffeinated malt beverage.

Sparks will still be available for purchase; however, the brewer (MillerCoors) will remove all caffeine, taurine, guarana and ginseng from the product as well as making some marketing changes. Apparently, Sparks looks too much like other energy drinks (Tilt, Monster, RedBull), and kids can't tell the difference. Who cares if kids can't tell the difference?! The cashier who has to verify that the purchaser is 21 years old can tell the difference!

Fellow Sparks enthusiast Lindsey says her local Kroger is already sold out of the black top (7% alcohol versus the orange topped 6%) Sparks. On a search for what I thought was a limited time Holiday Sparks (needless to say, this was a myth), I purchased the last orange top at my local gas station last night. I am traveling to southwest Florida to spend Christmas with my mom and other family this week, and you can bet we will be buying out the remainder of Sparks across the Sunshine State.

RIP, Sparks. RedBull and vods could never touch you.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

RIP Sparks!
You and your orange tongue staining deliciousness will be missed.
I will do my best to buy the Cinc to Columbus I-71 supply as I travel home for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

So sad, I love sparks; nothing like a buzz and a sugar/caffine high all packed in one wonderfull orange-ish flaver teen friendly can lol.

Erin said...

MA*, I have to tell you that, after reading this post I started on my holiday travels across several states, and every time I was in a beverage area of some store, I'd see the Sparks sitting there and wish I could box it all up and send it to you. I'm pretty sure that would have been prohibitively difficult, though.

Anyway. Wanted you to know I was thinking of you...

phuong said...

Toronto takes pride is being one of the safest urban environments in the entire world. Toronto is the largest city in Canada and is home to over two and a half million residents. This city is home to individuals of various cultures and ethnicities that speak over one hundred different languages and dialects. Toronto is consistently rated for being one of the most livable cities in the world by the Economist Intelligence Unit. This rating results from the city's low crime rate, high standard of living, clean environment, and the residents welcoming attitude towards diversity.Toronto Homes For Saleclases particulares madrid