Monday, January 12, 2009

By Popular Demand!

A previous post garnered a lot of positive comments, many of which asked for a regular posting of what to watch week to week. I'm spending the first four days of this week off work (for working extra days during holiday), so I had a lot of time this weekend to free up some much-needed DVR space. It is, after all, the new year, and all of my favorite shows (some old, some new) are back in action.

It's already Monday, so I've missed a day, but the NFL playoffs and the premiere of 24 took over my normal Fox Sunday night lineup anyway, so you haven't missed much. Just Rock of Love Bus! Bret is back for season 3 of looking for love -- the boobs are 3 times as big, the drama 3 times as ridiculous, and his eyeliner 3 times as thick. So far, they have hit Louisville KY and Indianapolis. As Bret's "tour" continues around the country, the contestants will continue to be eliminated. My early favorite to win is Taya, the Penthouse Pet. I also remember reading a story about a fatal car accident occurring during the taping of this season, so it will be interesting to see the footage that's shown. Here's what else you should be looking for this week:

Tonight! (Monday, January 12):

Gossip Girl, 8 pm, CW: We learn "the fate of the Bass empire". If it turns out that Bart had ZERO dollars, I will officially believe that this show is written by some 4 year olds watching the entire series of the O.C. on DVD. Meanwhile, Rufus searches for the child Lily had and gave up, and I continue to get my Gossip Girl and 90210 plotlines muddled together.

One Tree Hill, 9pm, CW: Peyton's pregnant, and it's time for everyone to find out. She gets herself into some pretty sticky situations, so I'm sure we're in for 9 months of up and down storylines. I am already calling a season-ending cliffhanger where she is badly injured in some horrifying accident and we don't know if her and/or the baby will survive.

Bromance, 9pm, MTV: This show is horrible. But I can't stop. I think Brody Jenner is actually genuine in some way, and my love for him grows as his bronzer gets heavier. Tonight, LC shows up and asks the guys questions, "Dating Game" style. The crazy Femi continues to rep the 904 (Holla Jacksonville!) appropriately.

The City, 10pm, MTV: Again, horrible television. I love Whitney's roommate, Erin, but that's the only thing keeping me on board at this point. It's more horribly scripted than 'The Hills', if you can even imagine such a thing.

Tuesday, January 13:

American Idol, 8pm, Fox: If I need to give a description here, I have no idea how you are even reading this blog, as you have obviously lived under a rock or in a monastery for the past 7 years.

The Biggest Loser, 8pm, NBC: This show surprised us all last week by sending home nearly half of the contestants in the season opener. This week it continues to make history as the participants and the trainers face the dreaded week 2 weigh-in. I am tuning in *solely* to hear Bob use the F word.

Chopped, 10pm, FoodNetwork: I haven't seen, read, or heard anything about this program. All I know is the description says, "Reality. Cooking. Premiere." I am IN. Probably something along the lines of 'Next Food Network Star', without the tv show contract part (btw, did anyone notice that NFNS LOSER Adam Gertler now has his own show on FoodNetwork? Lame!)

Real Housewives of Orange County, 10pm, Bravo: My favorite season to date continues as Tamra tries to get Gretchen drunk enough to hook up with her 22 year old son (who we recently discovered has the word "nugget" tattooed inside his lower lip). Meanwhile, Vicki visits family in Michigan and we might meet her first husband!

Wednesday, January 14:

American Idol, 8pm, Fox: Auditions continue as I have now officially given up 4 hours of my life to one show this week.

90210, 9pm, CW: This show is actually on Tuesdays at 8pm, but my DVR scheduler is full at that time (T.G. 'Big Brother' isn't on right now, too!) Anyway, Adrianna's pregnant, Brenda can't have kids, and I think Brenda might end up adopting Adrianna's kid. Meanwhile, Annie and Ethan DO IT.

Real World Brooklyn, 10pm, MTV: Season 437 of this show continues, breaking barriers with its first transgendered cast member and a record (?) 8 roommates (maybe so they don't have to go about filling a vacancy when one of them turns out to be insane halfway through the season?)

Top Chef, 10pm, Bravo: Last week introduced us to British food critic Toby Young, the new judge who took Gail's place (because you apparently can't plan a wedding and have a bit part in a weekly television series at the same time). Toby is HILARIOUS (he compared Jeff's avocado sorbet to Tom Cruise's cameo in "Tropic Thunder"), and I look forward to more of his (pre-scripted or not) quips.

Thursday, January 15:

Ugly Betty, 8pm, ABC: Betty chooses between home and family, and career and YETI (I forget the acronym for this young publisher wanna be program). Justin is still the stand out favorite of this series.

Grey's Anatomy, 9pm, ABC: Did Denny actually leave this show last week? Please, God, yes. I can't take anymore of Izzie's insanity. This week, Derek's mom shows up and meets Meredith. Which should go really well, judging by the success of their relationship's major milestones thus far.

The Office, 9pm, NBC: No description needed. This shit is consistently hilarious.

Ace of Cakes, 10pm, FoodNetwork: Words cannot describe the joy in my heart when I saw the episode description said "2009". A new ep! FINALLY! Can't wait to see what Duff and the gang (particularly Geof, meooooow) have been up to.

ER, 10pm, NBC: In the least anticipated former cast member appearance of this show's final season, Alex Kingston stops by as Dr. Corday. Some other stuff happens, too, but I am really just waiting for Carter to show up.

Friday, January 16:

The Soup, 10pm, E!: Joel McHale (hilariously) recaps this week's best moments in TV and pop culture news. Be sure to watch any DVR'ed shows of the week *before* this one (last week, I found out about the 90210 pregnancy via 'The Soup' before watching the actual ep).

Best Week Ever, 11pm, VH1: Paul F. Tompkins (hilariously) recaps this week's best moments in TV and pop culture news. Sound familiar? Trust me, they are BOTH worth watching.

There you have it! That's my plan for prime time this week, and I hope to watch at least a few of these things via cardio theatre at the gym, rather than on my couch eating ice cream (Trainer Bob *totally* called me out on that last week). Enjoy your viewing!

4 comments:

Emily Malone said...

9am at my desk and hating my job, and THIS just totally made my day. laughing out loud like a maniac...

"In the least anticipated former cast member appearance of this show's final season, Alex Kingston stops by as Dr. Corday."

hahaahahaaaaaa i love you.

BS said...

I feel the same way about Bromance, it is so stupid, but I think Brody is totally serious and genuine about this. Can't stop watching. We need catch up phone call soon.

Lindsey said...

my fav was the monastery shout-out, what what!

love the list but have to say many of these shows i don't watch any more.
out:all mtv and vh1 programming in: the cw, food network, and bravo

Anonymous said...

I hope Femi seriously regrets getting that copy cat tattoo. I hope he has to get it lasered off when he gets eliminated.