Monday, January 26, 2009

Poultry Propaganda?

Any reader of this blog knows I am an outrageously huge (literally, from eating so much) fan of Chick-Fil-A. I first discovered CFA in Castleton Square Mall, a shopping mecca (insert sarcasm) we would go to when visiting my grandparents/aunts/uncles in Indianapolis. I loved how they would hand out samples of their delicious, juicy, chicken nuggets, and I always, always, ALWAYS wanted to eat there. Sometimes I even picked CFA over the Lazarus Tea Room.

Because of its irresistibly delicious menu offerings, innumerable coupons and savings opportunities, and the fact that the annual "Cow Appreciation Day" is almost always observed on my birthday, I have been able to overlook a few of CFA's opportunities, first and foremost being the fact that they remain closed on Sundays. I appreciate S. Truett Cathy's commitment to observing the day of rest and worship, and although I have been the moron who sits for 3 minutes at the drive thru before realizing it is, in fact, Sunday, I've never been too bothered by this.

It was merely a few months ago that I noticed the second problem. CFA's customary closing remark of, "My pleasure!" was replaced by, "Have a blessed day!". This was not the case at *all* locations, so I was willing to let it slide.

Then I noticed something else that was slightly odd. Upon dining in at a CFA location during my lunch break, I noticed the chords of DC Talk over the Muzak. Upon further investigation, I discovered that CFA locations now play Christian "rock". Weird, right? But a few weeks ago, I heard a MercyMe song on American Idol (being played as background music, not sung as an audition piece). So maybe Christian music is really hip right now, and it doesn't bother me that much anyway. I mean, I hardly EVER eat inside at a CFA, so I could get over it. I shouldn't have been surprised, anyway -- they've been giving away Veggie Tales toys in their kids' meals for *years*.

But the other day, in a rare instance where I was "dining in", I went to use the (always clean and well-stocked, thank you crew!) restroom, and I saw *this* propped up on the sink:





FREE! Christian music! And if I take a copy, I'll be BLESSED, exclamation point with a heart at the bottom!

This really shouldn't bother me; I know. I mean, some nice, wonderful, caring Christian is just trying to spread the word. But I'm just trying to wash my hands. I can ignore the music and the "blessed" greetings, but this was staring me right in the face. If I *didn't* take the CD, was I destined to be damned to the fires of hell? Was it laced with subliminal messages to make me give money to the church? Or to make me buy more #5, 8 pack combos? I was terrified. Of course I did not take the "complimentary" album, and I left CFA so quickly I didn't even get my sweet tea free-fill.

People get their daily dose of faith or religion in many ways, but I prefer mine without a side of Polynesian sauce. Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

what do you think the interview process is like there?
you are required to memorize the value meal menu as well as proverbs?
-heaven is a place on earth...that sells a six piece chicken strip meal