Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bye Bye, Bealls... Aloha, Anthro!

First of all, readers, while many of you have been quick to point out my lack of posts in the past week and a half (I answered my phone last night, only to hear my own mother bark, "Did your blog DIIIIIIE?!"), nary a one of you managed to comment on my last post, which included pictures of an FO! This could mean one of two things: either you really did think my capelet was frighteningly tiny and couldn't muster a single nice comment to post, or you just weren't moved enough by my post to be seized with the need to read/comment at *all*. When you're not compelled to comment, I'm not compelled to compose! Let this be a lesson to you all for the future.

Laziness of my subscribers aside, I have been a busy blogging bee these past few weeks. Last Saturday, I bid adieu to my job of 3 1/2 years and set out on a new career path. I want to thank everyone at #732 (shoutout!) for being fabulous, pitching in on an unnecessary but MUCH appreciated gift card, floods of letters and cards, delicious baked goods, and lots of tearful farewells. The highlight of the day had to be the rousing chorus of "For She's a Jolly Good Fella (Remix)" (think "fella-ella-ella-hey-ey-ey..."). Combined with the message/Colts color theme on my cake (pictured below), I could tell my staff had really gotten to know me, and I appreciate all of your thoughtfulness.

After the celebration and packing (I considered opening a Colts memorabilia shop with the contents of my old office), I relaxed for the weekend and rested up to start the new job on Monday. It had been a while since I started at a new place, so Sunday night I took time to plan my outfit and lay my clothes out, similar to the night-before-a-new-school-year ritual. The Anthro aesthetic is one that, thus far, has been pretty difficult to nail. Everyone I work with seems to manage just the right amount of layers, just the right coordinating-but-not-matching color combinations, just the right shoes with just the right fit jeans. I have to admit I am a bit clumsy in this arena. I love absolutely *every* piece that we offer at Anthro, but I'm a little uneducated on how to wear it. I have sought approval from DLO members with pre-work day pictures every day this week, and they have assured me that I have not made any outfit missteps. So far, I haven't been sent home for dress code, no one has asked me if I got dressed in the dark, and I think I have managed to fit in among the well-dressed staff.

The ability to wear denim daily (yessss!) is not the only thing I missed about speciality retail. Although I've spent the majority of the week sick with nausea about being the new kid and knowing next to nothing, there have been some highlights:

-- THE HOURS. A nice, quiet, 10am - 9pm Monday - Saturday, 12pm - 6pm Sunday schedule means I have managed a lot more sleep so far this week. In addition, instead of bracing myself for a marathon of holiday hour insanity (not the least of which included a 3am - 5pm shift on Black Friday), I managed to score Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday off next week -- THANKSGIVING week! I cannot remember a time in my adult working (retail) life that I had the day before Thanksgiving off, let alone the *two* days before Thanksgiving.

-- My neighbors. Ahh, sweet shopping sanctuary. I am surrounded by Urban Outfitters, Coach, Juicy, Betsey, Kate, and Louis (to name a few). I have managed to stay away from the nearby residents' tantalizing goodies this week, instead choosing to exercise my...

-- Employee discount. Gone are the days of a measly 20% off my total. It is Employee Appreciation Time, and I am going to milk this event for alllllll its worth. I have purchased 3 wonderful items so far, and plan to spend part of the rest of my day off today purging my closet of all things non-Anthro. Adios, pinstripe suiting...! (Ok, I don't *really* own any pinstripe suiting).

-- Lunch options. Farewell, driving across the street to choose from Chili's, ChickFilA, Moe's, or the Target Eatery (not that I didn't exercise these options, and love them, regularly). Hello, Crisper's, Arby's, Qdoba, Panera, PF Chang's, and Renna's Pizza. And we can't forget my favorite afternoon pick-me-ups, Auntie Anne's and Yogaberry. Yummmmmm.


-- Morning breakfast runs. This is a double-edged sword. As a prior store manager, I want my staff to come to work READY to work, and that means your breakfast has at least been purchased, and is preferably in the process of being digested. This gang manages to make a morning coffee run part of the opening routine. At first, I was a little annoyed -- I already ATE breakfast, I prefer a fountain DC, and we have work to do! But, to each his own, and I can certainly get used to a morning breakfast sesh (as long as I know I can count on it).

All in all, I am thrilled to back in speciality retail. The customers are nice, the staff is close-knit, and the tasks are manageable. (The stockroom, however, needs a MAJOR overhaul...) Despite my paralyzing social phobia, the employees has been very welcoming. I'm pretty sure they're all talking smack in private, but I feel like they like me, so I'll focus on that. Not to mention, I am in *love* with the product. I am looking forward to seeing where Anthro takes me!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about not commenting on your last post. I did LOVE the capelet--so much that I passed the pattern along to another blogger who was looking for easy knitting projects that weren't scarves.

The Anthro job sounds AWESOME and PERFECT. Totally jealous. I love every single thing in that store, and can't really afford any of it on a grad student "salary." :( So, I'm super-happy for you--congrats and good luck! And I'm sure you look great.

:D

BS said...

Are you the boss at this store? Do you really work 72 hours a week?

Mary Ann* said...

B, I am not the BOSS-boss, I am the apparel manager. And I work 40 hours a week. The hours I was referring to are the ones that we are open for business! This 40 hour week is much nicer than my 45 minimum, sometimes up to 70 at Bealls!

Lindsey said...

that cakes says "TTYL" doesn't it?
hahaha, love it, love the blog, love you!

Donna said...

Nice blog (finally!)You will be awesome at Antrhopologie just as you are in everything you do...I give up - what does TTYL mean? MOM

Anonymous said...

i just wanted to take this moment at 2:00 in the morning to apologize for not posting comments on ur last few blogs. its not because i dont love you (far from it) its just because the holiday season at Bealls is taking over my life.Example: i went to work on the 23rd and got home the 24th. miss you, and i hope ur having a lot of fun at ur new job.

Emily Malone said...

love your new job almost as much as i love you. so proud of you for leaving the bealls hell hole.

your outfits are perrrfect and you look adorable! i wore all sorts of funky ridiculous layers when i worked there. you basically aim for a cross between a homeless person and a runway model:)

love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the 732 shout-out! your job sounds way better then crappy ol bealls. We do miss you. Me more then most. love you!