Sunday, November 2, 2008

A little something for myself...

Since I began knitting, I have spent a lot of time knitting gifts for others. I love giving a homemade gift to someone, and I love knitting (yarn is cheaper than therapy), so it works out! I am surprised, however, at the lack of things I have made for myself. I thought my love/learning of knitting would lead to many a cable knit cardi added to my wardrobe, but the truth is, I've been pretty terrified to move beyond basic rectangle shapes.

My first foray into apparel knitting produced what I am now calling version one of an Anthropologie-inspired capelet. I loved this little number, but I ended up not loving the yarn (massive stretch factor while wearing, lint problems, and I was underwhelmed by the color). Last weekend, I scored 2 skeins of a beeeeautiful pearly grey (inspiration for new blog layout colors!) on clearance for *a dollar* a piece. I am working on v. 2.0 of this piece now, and I think she will be a beauty.

I am also v. interested in making a "keyhole" scarf, where there is basically a huge buttonhole built in to your scarf, so you don't have to go about folding it in half and pulling the two ends through. I first saw something like this at (where else?) Anthropologie, but it was priced at an exorbitant $68. I easily found a pattern in a book at a craft store, and came home and found a similar (free!) pattern online. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking about:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it up in the gorgeous purple Malabrigo Michael got me for Christmas last year. Not sure if I ever posted a pic of my "One Hank Wonder" scarf I made with one of the colorways he got me (think it was before my before this blog was born), but it's shown here on the left. This yarn is absolutely scrumptious, and this is by far my favorite scarf (not only because it took me about 2 nights to knit!) to bundle up with during our 3 weeks of cold weather each year.

As I am shopping, I always see wonderful pieces that I just love, but refuse to invest because of the aforementioned short winter. Also, I am always thinking, "I can MAKE that!", and I refuse to shell out the dolla dollas. Luckily, a lot of smart and wonderful ladies on ravelry feel the same way, and they put together some awesome patterns. This one is a circular shrug, knit in one big piece, and inspired by an awesome sweater sold in 2005 at Urban Outfitters. This pattern is from the same knitter who provided the Anthro capelet pattern. I don't know if this lady is a professional knitwear designer or what, but can I just say that I. Love. Her. We have the same taste in little fun sweaters, and she has the brilliance to figure out the patterns! Here is her picture of her finished shrug:



This one will be one of the most challenging things I have knit to date, but I think I can figure it out. After all, I am going to need some new fashionable novelty pieces coming up shortly (look for a future blog post about great career news...!).

Off to work on my capelet as the Colts bludgeon the Patriots. Did everyone see the Bengals win today?! You may recall that when I posted pics of Lindsey's WhoDey scarf on 10/26, I wrote, "I have never been one to believe in superstitious sports rituals, but maybe the completion of this scarf will pull the Bengals out of their 0-8 slump." Who knew?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that could be it. or maybe because the jaguars absolutely suck, and dont deserve to even touch a football.

Lindsey said...

who dey! thanks for the curse breaking scarf.
and love the new layout!
cannot wait to see your adore new capelet, looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a pattern similar to the Anthropologie keyhole scarf. Can you tell me where you found one online?

Alyssa