Monday, October 27, 2008

No, I will *not* knit you a Steelers scarf.

I do love Florida, but I tire quickly of the sweltering summers and long for the bitter chill of a 50 degree low. Luckily, tonight there is an inland frost advisory. That meant that today, I got to sport my Colts rugby stripe scarf (pictured, left) in honor of their Monday night football game vs. the undefeated Titans.

I am always thrilled when I am wearing something I knit and people comment, "Where did you get that? I love it!" I resist the urge to ask, "Why? How much would you pay for it?" and instead shyly admit that it is a creation of my own. This response is usually followed up by an uncomfortable line of, "Ooooh, can you make me/my grandson/my random neighbor/my kid's lunchlady something?" Today, my Colts scarf provoked *three* reactions, all the same: "Can you do one in black and gold?" The first time I heard it, I thought the person meant sparkly glittery gold, which I asked, just to clarify. To my dismay, they replied, "No no, like, Pittsburgh Steelers gold". (Or, as I call it, BHS Golden Bears gold). When I told them (as nicely as possible) there was no way, ever, and that it was absurd that they would even ASK such a wretched thing, they acted like *I* was the one who was nuts. One person even said, "Wow, you really ARE a big Colts fan". Really?? Was it the homemade scarf, the football/horseshoe earrings, and blue and white coordinated (but still professional and within dress code confines) outfit, or the "Manning to Wayne in the end zooooooone!" ringtone that tipped you off? Maybe you walked into my office and saw the MASSIVE Peyton Manning posters? I never knew that refusing to knit a scarf in a rival team's colors would be the quality that defined my "true fan" status.

This is not the first request I have had for a Steelers scarf (blogger shoutout to reader Tabitha, who asked for a "WEdey" version of Lindsey's orange and black striper), but I was appalled to have 3 in one day. (For the record, Tab, you are the only one I would ever maybe even consider knitting this for, and that would be strictly offseason ONLY).

If you do not know me well enough that my fingers would bleeeeeed knitting a Steelers scarf, then you do *not* know me well enough to be the receipient of an MA* Knit Creation.

Go horse! (7-6 at the half!)

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

this post is perfection.
you are true blue in your caring and sharing for the colts!

Anonymous said...

wooooooo go me!!!! ok first, id like to say, that i find it f*ckin awesome u knit. like im really impressed, and ill say that when im sober. 2nd, i'll make u a deal. u knit me a steelers scarf (in the off season) and i'll paint u a colts picture on canvas. but nothing peyton manning cuz...thats against my steelers religion.

Anonymous said...

um the colts and the steelers are not even rivals like the browns and the steelers are for example.

Mary Ann* said...

Anon, first of all... fess up to your post. Secondly, I hate the Steelers, so they are a rival to me. Perhaps I should have called them my AFC nemesis? But rivalries are personal. And personally, I do not appreciate non-constructive comments.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Snap!