Monday, April 20, 2009

Dog Years.

I cannot believe how old my babies are today! Happy 5th (35th) birthday to Roach Dude and 4th (28th) birthday to Lilly!

They are both handling their midlife crises by having a small outburst of carpet destruction yesterday afternoon. I can't say I blame them. I myself am not ready for 28 this year, and I am sure that when I hit 3-5, I will most certainly want to destroy something. Plus, they have been so good for so long, I can overlook a minor misstep in behavior. Besides, I think it's time for new carpet, too.

Last night we celebrated with the pups by letting them enjoy my doggie bag of beef tips and egg noddles (yummmmm). Tonight they will get to open presents and eat lots of MilkBones.

Theses dogs are the loves of my life, and they improve my mood tenfold every single day. I can't believe how big they have gotten (in comparison to their baby pictures shown here!) and I hate every day that they get older -- but love every day I get to hang out with them.

Happy Birthday, kids!

4 comments:

Jen Lilley said...

They have the same birthday?? They were such cute little puppies!

Erin said...

Awww. Happy birthday, Roach & Lilly! Sending happy Milkbone wishes to you!

I know what you mean--my cats are totally my babies, and I love them so much it hurts sometimes. Funny how pets sneak (ha!) their way into our hearts, isn't it?

And now I sound like a greeting card and/or church lady, so I'll stop...

Mary Ann* said...

Jen, we don't technically know either of their birthdays. Roach was rescued from a chicken farm in southwest Florida, where he narrowly escaped being left in a cardboard box in the woods with his brothers and sisters (to this day, I struggle with guilt over not taking all of them. But now he's over 100 pounds, so I know I couldn't have possibly managed!) When we took him to the vet in May, they said he was roughly 4-d weeks old, so we picked April 20th as his bday.

When we got Lilly a year later (Deane had to crawl under a trailer to retrieve her from the owners who were giving away yet another litter of unwanted pups), we decided they could have the same birthday, since we didn't really know either of them!

Jen Lilley said...

I love that. Happy Birthday to them :) What lucky doggies to be rescued by you guys!