Sunday, April 5, 2009

Knitting Knews.

My brother Michael sent me a link to a nationwide call for knitters this past week, and my interest was piqued. Although I had heard of CodePink, I wasn't really sure what they were about, other than being a group of women united against war. A quick trip to their website explained...

"CODEPINK emerged out of a desperate desire by a group of American women to stop the Bush administration from invading Iraq. The name CODEPINK plays on the Bush Administration's color-coded homeland security alerts — yellow, orange, red — that signal terrorist threats. While Bush's color-coded alerts are based on fear and are used to justify violence, the CODEPINK alert is a feisty call for women and men to "wage peace."
CODEPINK is a women-initiated grassroots peace and social justice movement working to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, stop new wars, and redirect our resources into healthcare, education, green jobs and other life-affirming activities. CODEPINK rejects foreign policies based on domination and aggression, and instead calls for policies based on diplomacy, compassion and a commitment to international law. With an emphasis on joy and humor, CODEPINK women and men seek to activate, amplify and inspire a community of peacemakers through creative campaigns and a commitment to non-violence.
'We call on women around the world to rise up and oppose the war in Iraq. We call on mothers, grandmothers, sisters and daughters, on workers, students, teachers, healers, artists, writers, singers, poets, and every ordinary outraged woman willing to be outrageous for peace. Women have been the guardians of life-not because we are better or purer or more innately nurturing than men, but because the men have busied themselves making war. Because of our responsibility to the next generation, because of our own love for our families and communities and this country that we are a part of, we understand the love of a mother in Iraq for her children, and the driving desire of that child for life.'"

Although I try to keep my political activism to a minimum, I think CodePink is a great cause, and I support their message. Mostly, though, I just think that this project they are planning for Mother's Day is 100% awesome. A giant cozy on anything is the love, and this message is an important one to be heard on Mother's Day. I've been trying to figure out what to do with my fabulous pink Malabrigo, and this is the answer.


"Calling all CODEPINK knitters! We are creating a beautiful, quilted cozy to cover the fence in front of the White House to honor Mother's Day. The message will be “We will not raise our children to kill another mother’s child”-inspired by Julia Ward Howe’s Mother’s Day Proclamation. We’ll be piecing it together from individual squares knitted by YOU as part of the 24 hour Mother’s Day vigil for Women who live in War Zones. The best part is you don’t have to be an experienced knitter to help! This is perfect for knitters of all skill levels—and a great opportunity for those who want to learn! Celebrate the time honored tradition of the radical act of knitting."

Click here to learn more about CodePink's "Radical Act of Knitting in Honor of Mother's Day". Even if you are a super-beginner, you can be a part of this ground-breaking project.

On a personal level, my big accomplishment last week was mastering the picot hem. Although I cannot divulge photos of my super-secret project, I included this picture so you can see what I'm talking about. If you follow the link provided (Knit wiki, anyone? Who even knew this existed?) you will read about how involved this process really is. It takes two sets of circular needles, a lot of un-twisting, and a ridiculous amount of concentration. I am very proud of my first picot hem, and I am sure I will use the knowledge I gained on projects in the future. Meanwhile, I am knitting along furiously on my picot-edged masterpiece. I can't wait to get it off the needles and post pictures!

4 comments:

BS said...

You might want to do a bit more research on CodePink before you join up.

Mary Ann* said...

Thanks B, but I'm just knitting a few pink squares, not leading a march on Washington. Too bad you will be in Cinci on Mother's Day and won't be able to see the cozy in person!

Lindsey said...

what is the super secret project! that hem is amazing, and is that yarn as fabulously purple as it looks in the pic????

Lindsey said...

ahhhh, just saw the on the needles list!!!!!
bday present for me!!!!!
so excited!
hope it is a big knitted bow that you will be wearing ON MY DOORSTEP!!!!!! (but i accept the difficulties of travel and will gladly accept a knitted delight, sans ma*).