Monday, August 25, 2008

Cast On Queen.

Ok, I really *am* almost done with this Linus-inspired blankie. Look how long it is! I was knitting away happily on Sunday to some lovely programming on Planet Green when I ran in to quite the nasty knot. I worked this bad boy for the remainder of Living with Ed and halfway through the Colts/Bills game (the knot was about as pretty a sight as our 285 lb. "quarterback"). I was desperate to finish this beast without breaking into skein #3 (I always purchase an extra in the same dye lot to avoid potential disaster). Sadly, I had to finally submit to the terror of the super twisty disast and break it off. I started on skein 3 and am again knitting away into oblivion. Do you see how it has taken over the entire papasan? I have not saved much on the energy bill this month, insisting that I crank the AC a few more degrees while this behemoth takes over the better part of my lap. (slight aside: You may notice my hair is considerably shorter, thanks to a visit to my kitchen stylist, Deane. He hacked a good two inches of disgusting nastiness off of my hair when we were a little stir-crazy on Sunday afternoon. I'm actually pleased, and think it is an in-between step to a newer, chin-length 'do.)

In the midst of the knot process, I became so frustrated I decided to go ahead and cast on Lindsey's Bengals striper. I don't know if this was a good idea, since the Colts face Cinci this week in the preseason finale, but I was too tempted by new yarn and the therapeutic quick knit of short, 16 stitch rows. I spent maybe 30 minutes on this little lover and she is already coming along nicely:

It is a simple k1,p1 rib and will probably be about 6 feet long for lots of fabulous wrapping and layering. I really, really, really hope the colors are spot on for this one. I also refuse to take this knit out in public, for fear that people will assume I am knitting some sort of Halloween decoration.

All of this knitting happened indoors while I waited for the flood waters to subside. Here are a few pics of our yard, two days *after* Fay's torrential downpours. The dogs pretty much hated life (I guess they do not have knitting to turn to in their time of power-outage, rainy rainy need), but Roach finally went about 2 feet off the porch to check things out.




At least everything looks beautifully green and lush! The water has finally evaporated/soaked into the ground, so we are all set for now, unless Gustav's stupid ass decides to head this way.


Here's to a prolific knitting week!

4 comments:

Emily Malone said...

the black and orange are perfect! nice work, lady:) i am green with jealousy, but i supposed i can always rock my colts striper on december 7th instead:)

the blankie is adorable! almost makes me want to have a baby. ALMOST. i'll wait a while and give you a break:)

Mary Ann* said...

If you do, please try for a girl. I am ready for some pink in my knitting life!

Lindsey said...

ooh-la-la! what do i love more: adore baby blankies, adore ma*, or adore bengals stripers? ma* is a first and the rest tie for second.

Emily Malone said...

please always feel free to knit me something pink.

:)