Monday, August 18, 2008

Ohh, Fay.

I have only lived in Florida for 5 years, officially. A child of the midwest, I am used to unforgiving cold, frozen snot at bus stops (ok, I never *actually* took the bus), and burning windburn on the one square inch of face skin not covered with a scarf/headband/sunglasses/wool mouth guard. But no matter the number of snowed in days and blizzards I have endured, nothing has prepared me for the gripping fear that comes over me when there is a hurricane looming off the Florida coast.


My county is currently under a flood watch, tropical storm watch, and high wind advisory until 5 pm tomorrow night. This is all thanks to stupid Fay, who can't seem to decide exactly where she would like to begin her quest for obliteration. I have tried to watch coverage of the projected path, but the truth is, all I've learned is that I'm pretty sure I could buy a degree in meteorology on a late-night infomercial. The general consensus among all of these morons is that everyone in the state should expect rain. Lots of rain. For several days. And wind, too! Oh, and if you have pets, bring 'em inside. Tie down the patio furniture! And be sure to stop by your local grocery conglomerate and fight the mobs of insane freaks trying to get the last bottle of water.

I'm wavering pretty regularly between shrugging the whole thing off and being struck with complete immobilizing fear. After seeing some of the destruction from Charley in '04 firsthand, I know things can get pretty damn rough. As it stands, the cats are still outside, I'm not in love with the patio furniture anyway, and I have a 12 pack reserve of DC and plenty of 100 calorie packs to get me through the night. And hey, just like I lived for snow days, I'll take a few "hurricane days" off of work wherever I can get 'em.

My knitting is readied, my lighted-end needles have new LEDs (not yet, but a JoAnn/Michaels trip is top priority tomorrow a.m.), and my iPod is charged and full of Kenny, Keith, and T. Keith (thanks Linds!). I can get through 8 hours, at least. Let's pray it's not much more than that.

I'll fight the urge to shout obscenities at the impending storm, hoping instead that Fay will show us some mercy.

And let me watch the rest of the Olympics coverage.

No comments: