Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dresses, decorating, Dad's Day...

First of all, I apologize for the lack of activity on the blog. You can tell by the history that I am always v. motivated at the start of the week (almost always a Monday post), and then I really don't post again until the weekend. I realize this error and will attempt to create more witty communication throughout the week.


This past week led up to Father's Day, a holiday that means little to nothing to me, but a lot to the amount of work I have to do. The day before is one of the "6 business critical days" of the retail year, which means for the past 2 weeks, I have worked a looooooong 6 day week. The weather agreed with my exhaustion today and drizzled from morning til night, meaning it is now 9:30 pm and I have been awake for a total of 2.5 hours today. Luckily, I am off tomorrow as well, so I can catch up on blogging/knitting/cleaning/kissing the dogs/organizing my yarn stash.


In addition to business of the work week, a few really fun things have happened. First off, Emily found her bridesmaid's dresses, and I was happy to take a quick trip to Anthro on Thursday to pick mine up (and even happier when the size 8 zipped up easily, thanks Hungry Girl!!) The only problem (if it can be called that) about the trip was that Anthro in snuggled into the most troublesome trifecta of retailers at St. John's Town Center. Betsey, Juicy, and Coach sit in a triangle of tantalizing spending opportunity, anchoring the greatest street ever, which now also features Lacoste, Puma, Urban, Arden B, and Bare Escentuals (to name a few). I made a visit to all of the Big 3, but left with only my (most gorgeous) bridesmaid dress and a (v. affordable) pair of recently marked down Coach sandals in gold (a must for this summer).


Also this week, I was commissioned by Deane's sister-in-law to create a "Pirate Elmo" birthday cake for his nephew's birthday party (Lorenzo turns 2 on June 22nd; Felipe turned 4 on June 10th). She was purchasing a pirate ship cake for Felipe, but Lorenzo's only words for a week had been "PIRATE ELMO", and she was unable to locate a cake. Although I really doubt my skills in this department, I channelled my inner Ace of Cakes and threw any worried of trademark infringement to the wind. Here's the finished product:


Sadly, I was unable to attend the afternoon party at the beach, but Saturday night, everyone in Deane's family assured me that my cake was more adorable and delicious than the one they ordered and paid for. Lorenzo thanked me with a big hug and kiss, which made the investment in 2 $10.99 round cake pans totally worth it.

We spent the remainder of the weekend hanging out with Deane's brother and sister-in-law, who were visiting from Deerfield Beach, and generally being lazy. Some exciting family news will soon be shared in another post...!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

this cake is so amazing! obviously when we discussed i knew it would be fabulous, but this is beyond! i think you need to get in to the cake decorating business, you have skills lady.
i am putting in my request now for a strawberry shortcake (old school style) b-day cake in april!

also, i am obviously going to need to hear about this family news sooner rather than later, but i won't call you this early on your day off!