Monday, June 2, 2008

BELIEVE IN BLUE.

Since I began knitting, it has been a goal of mine to learn fair isle and intarsia (knitting a pattern within a block of color). I have been dreaming of the day I can crank out a hoodie with deer and snowflakes, convinced that I can reinvent the old Grandma sweater into something new and hip (this particular discovery has yet to happen). Turns out, fair isle is pretty easy. Intarsia, not so much. I have been working through my yarn stash on a series of small projects, mostly ones to just get me started learning new techniques. Intarsia has been the hardest. I always end up with tangled balls of colors, puckered knit pieces, and misinterpreted patterns. Even though Vickie Howell walked me through many a color lesson (thank GOD for DVR), I was still having issues.

Last weekend, I was browsing miscellaneous Colts news bits online, when I thought (can you believe it took me this long??) to type "Indianapolis Colts" into the search option on ravelry. God bless the woman who had graphed the perfect horseshoe and logo pattern. I am v. particular about specific lettering, and I would settle for no less than the perfect Colts blocks.

If anything was going to fuel my desire to learn this technique, it would be my love for the boys in blue. Much like the magic of any Colts victory, perfect stitches flew off my needles like a Manning 40 yarder to Harrison (Em -- I even thought about wearing receiver's gloves while knitting). Check out this beauty so far:
I couldn't commit to anything other than learning the pattern, so it's basically a huge white square with a blue border. I'm thinking, however, it will be the first of many Colts blocks, which will eventually fashion themselves into the greatest afghan ever created. As I count down the days until August 3rd, I will continue to crank out some Colts-themed squares. I'm thinking lots of player numbers intermixed with blue and white patterned blocks.

GO HORSE!!

2 comments:

Emily Malone said...

i know i already told you this, but seriously. you are amazing. casey and i marveled at how PERFECT the lettering is - so true to the Colts font! i am so impressed...

and i want one.

Lindsey said...

wunderbar!!!
and i want a kitty baby of my own!