Sunday, March 1, 2009

February: Failure.

February's over. And, admittedly, a lot happened this past month. But there's also a lot that *didn't* happen: knitting.

This month, I managed to produce one birthday cupcake, another half-finished bday present, and HALF of a washcloth with a wave motif: I couldn't even get it together enough to finish a WASHCLOTH. I remember once, in high school, my crazy asthma-induced art teacher said she was going to draw a single line on a piece of paper, sign it, have it framed, and hang it in the entryway of her house in January. That way, every day that she looked at that measly little line, she would be reminded that, if she didn't get to it, it would be the only art she produced that year. Will this half-finished 8"x8" square be the only thing I manage to crank out in '09?

The answer will be a boisterous "NO!". Truth is, since I got my PinkBerry, I hardly get on the "real" computer anymore, and when I do, I no longer surf my favorite knitting blogs and check out ravelry for new fun ideas. Instead, I search potential wedding color palettes, dresses, venues, and desserts (not necessarily in that order). Don't get me wrong, I am feeling 0% stressed about the wedding, and I am really excited to get down to planning it all, but there is so much out there, I can look at budgets/table linens/bouquets for 4 hours without realizing time has passed. Between working, attempting to work out regularly, my rigorous television viewing schedule, and aforementioned Web addiction, there is little time left for knitting. Not to mention blogging about knitting.

What's the answer? I've always been most productive in my life when I am over-extending myself; conversely, if I have little to nothing going on, I do little to nothing. I'm thinking Excel spreadsheets, color coded into hourly segments, tailored to fit the needs of each week, may be the way to go. Can someone out there help me format my BlackBerry to tell me everything I need? Do I need to set task reminders to TELL me to (*Blogger's note: In the middle of this sentence, Deane stopped me to show me a table centerpiece idea he liked in a wedding magazine, which got us started on the color thing again, which led to me showing him about 197658 wedding color inspiration boards online -- do you see what I'm talking about?!) start knitting? I love this hobby, I want to make more time for it, and in March, I am resolving to do so. But first, I'm off to finish that washcloth...!

No comments: